Monday, September 1, 2008

Breaktime is Over

Well, August has been quite a dry month in terms of posting to this blog, but for nothing else. It has been a difficult month and has left me with little desire to do much of anything after work except for hang out with BigDad. It began early in the month with continued difficulties in the banking industry, resulting in several colleagues being let go. It is really tough to see folks you have worked side by side with for years be let go. It takes a toll on morale and people are just trying to carry on. I have been in this business for 23 years and I have seen similar times in the past. I know, while others don't, that these times don't last forever and thing will rebound, it just takes time. I also feel very fortunate to still be in this industry, and with the same employer nonetheless.

The very most unfortunate thing that happened was that a beloved co-worker passed away on August 18th. She had gone into cardiac arrest on August 11th and never recovered. This has been particularly difficult for everyone who worked with her. It was so very sudden and this vibrant woman was with us one moment and gone the next. Now we are left to try and carry on. Not so easy.

The other major event in August was that my dear oldest child, Hollywood, matriculated at Virginia Military Institute on August 23rd. BD and I took her up the night before and on the 23rd, we got her registered and basically handed her over for the next four years. Once we had her gear stowed away in her room, she had to change into gym clothes. At 2:30, all the prospective cadets gathered in the auditorium and were called to "fall out" by company. There were 9 companies with about 50 cadets each. Once each company was in formation, they all marched out together to the sound of the drum corps. And so began cadre week (actually 9 days) or the more familiar "hell week." I have been told that 50% of the cadets that attrite the first year will do so in hell week. The cadets have been totally incommunicado until they participated in the Rat Crucible which was last night. Hollywood did get a chance to call me for 5 minutes last Wednesday as she visited her academic advisor, and she called me yesterday for a 15 minute conversation. She sounded so strong and committed. I am not worried about her. She did ask me to send her more supplies.

Hollywood did get a haircut. I don't know what the finished product looked like but here are a few shots during the action.

This evening I got my first e-mail from the kid. Here is what it said: Mom Please update your blog I like looking at it. That was the extent of the email, in its entirety. Not "don't worry Mom, I'm doing fine," but update your blog. So....my dear firstborn child, I will try and do better with my postings.

No comments: