Monday, October 6, 2008

Road Trip

I had the great fortune of catching a ride with my bro Mike on Sunday up to see his daughter play field hockey at James Madison University. My fortunes were many as his oldest daughter, a student at Sweetbrier College was able to pick up my daughter, a Rat at Virginia Military Institute, and bring her over to JMU. My greatest fortune of all was surviving the trip as that was in question early on when we nearly ate guardrail soon after we set off. We truly got run off the road by a very inconsiderate driver. My bro does not understand the concept of "the bigger car wins." No, he was not going to let his Toyota be pushed around by a full size Ford Econo Van. After a few tense seconds (my sister-in-law can provide details), we emerged victorious and the van exited at the next ramp. Lil' Red never even looked up from her book. We had a fabulous time as his daughter #2 hosted us at her school. It was Parents Weekend at JMU and we feasted on a lovely breakfast and we baked, I mean basked in the sunshine and enjoyed watching JMU stomp Hofstra. Afterwards was a pasta tailgate party. These ladies know how to throw a potluck!

Hollywood arrived in her uniform and quickly took advantage of her chance to change into "civilians." We camped out in #2's room for a while, just chilling out and waiting for the field hockey game to start. We helped ourselves to her roommates candy - I actually stuffed some into my bookbag for later consumption in case bro did not stop on the way home for a snack (he did not). Here is a picture of Hollywood with #2 before the game and a picture of me with Hollywood. She and #2 are the same age, and grew up together, along with my nephew, The Ladies Man.

At the end of the day my dear sweet niece #1 took Hollywood back to her barracks to begin another week of "straining." No worries though, I will be back there on Friday for her Parents Weekend. Hubby and I will be attending classes with her and then we will attend the parade. Saturday will be the football game, tailgating with the Moms in Prayer group, and dinner at a nice restaurant in town. Sunday will be brunch and church then we'll have to leave. Hub and I are going to take a few more days off and trek up to Wintergreen for spa treatment. I'm hoping the leaves in the Blue Ridge Mountains are at their peak then.

1 comment:

Blondie said...

I am laughing my azz off thinking about Big D's brains being maxed out sitting in one of Hottiewood's classes at VMI!! Oh, Lordy--that may cause him to drink!