Monday, October 13, 2008

Parents Weekend

Big Dad and I just got back from visiting Hollywood at Parents Weekend at VMI. We had a really great time. We stayed at a very nice b&b, right outside of town called Fox Hill B&B. It was quite nice - spacious, and cozy. Here are a few photos from Fox Hill. We really enjoyed the hospitality of Sue and Mark as well as kitty and puppy. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and we could not have asked for anything better.









The highlight of our trip though was spending time with our girl. We actually got to go to class with her on Friday which was quite interesting. In her English class I learned two new words - portmanteau and epiphenominal. I remembered on Friday what they meant but if you want to know yourself, please refer to Webster's because I have all but forgotten. It was quite fun. I can't necessarily call her Calculus class fun because to tell you the truth, Big Dad and I had absolutely zero clue as to what they were talking about. They used arcsin, derivatives, inverse, differentials, etc. Heck, I don't even know if I'm spelling it right. We could have kept up in a class in Japanese just as well. No matter, the important thing is that Hollywood understands and she seems to be keeping up just fine. I also had the chance to tour the barracks and see the spartan conditions of their room. Trust me, nothing fancy.We also got to eat in the mess hall. Here is a photo of Hollywood with one of her BRs (brother rats). On Saturday morning we were able to watch the corps in a parade.







In this last parade photo you can see Hollywood marching. She is 3rd from last.

We had a really fun time on Saturday at the football game. My sister Blondie and her fiance Scamper came to the game as well. Unfortunately my camera battery died around that time. No worries though as Mom Bear took lots of photos and promised to send them to me for future postings. I think she has a photo of the rats doing pushups which is pretty funny. Everytime VMI scores at all, the entire rat mass must run out of the bleachers onto the sidelines and do a number of pushups equal to VMI's new score. They weren't too happy that the score ended up being 47-20 VMI.


After the game we had the nicest dinner with Sis and Scamper. I hope she has some pics of this as well. On Sunday we took Hollywood to Walmart for provisions refill. Before we left we visited with her host family - a family that takes in cadets on the weekends and provides them with a place that feels like home. We are very thankful she has met a family kind enough to take her and several of her BRs in.

1 comment:

Blondie said...

In that picture in her barracks room, Hottiewood looks just like her Dad--look at the way she is standing!

By the way, where the hell can I find turkey jerky??