Monday, July 28, 2008

Birthday Bike!

I know how fortunate I am to live near the oceanfront. One of the best things about it is the boardwalk and one of my favorite things to do is bikeride out there and enjoy the breeze in the evening as the heat of the day fades. We have a bikepath for bikes only which makes it possible to ride up and down the boardwalk. One of my favorite things to do is look at all the interesting dogs - you see every kind. I think one day I'll just take pictures of every dog I see. Well for the first half of the summer I was riding Hollywood's bike. About 2 years or so ago we got her a beachcruiser for her birthday. She had ridden it some before she got her driver's license - she would ride it to school from Uncle Jeff's house from time to time. But once she got her driving permit, the bike was forgotten, left out in the elements at Uncle Jeff's. I finally went over there to retrieve it and the handle bars and bike chain were rusted. I took it to the bike shop last winter and they totally refurbished it. So after spending $35 on it, I told Hollywood she was out of luck. It was my bike now. It's a great bike, perfect for the boardwalk in almost every way. I say almost every way because all of the local bikeriders all have 2 things on their bikes that my beachcruiser did not - a basket and a bell. I had been feeling a little inadequate without the basket in particular - the bell I could probably get by without. I forgot to mention that the kickstand doesn't work but this has not been a major impediment. You don't really get off your bike and leave it ever so the kickstand is not mandatory. This bike is an Electra bike - a really nice blue color.

My darling husband got really tired of hearing me complain about the basket and the bell. So on my birthday, he took me for a ride and we turned in the parking lot of the bike shop. I was excited because I figured he was taking me to pick out a basket and a bell, but here is what was waiting for me. A fabulous NEW bike with what else but a basket and a bell. This bike is so sweet - it is an ice green color and it rides much smoother than the aforementioned blue Electra beachcruiser. You might not be able to tell from the photo but the seat is leather and the handlebars have leather covers with green stitching. Not only that, I also have a cell phone holder!
There aren't too many other things I'd like to do in the evenings during the summer than to ride this bike.

1 comment:

Blondie said...

You know, if Big Daddy really loved you, instead of a leather seat on the bike, he would have put on a leather La-Z-Boy....